Cordova’s Red Dragon Reading Room and St. George’s Episcopal Church are the two buildings included in the Red Dragon Historic District, recognized in 1982 on the National Register of Historic Places. The Red Dragon was built in 1908 and is Cordova’s oldest still-standing building. Built in 1918-19, St. George’s Church was designed by well-known Alaska artist Eustace Ziegler who served the Episcopal Church for more than a decade, living in Cordova from 1908-1919.
This website is dedicated to preserving the history of these buildings and to highlight the people who used them and provided so many services to the community of Cordova, as well as visitors. Maintenance of these historic structures is a priority for the congregation of St. George’s Church. Please visit the Capital Campaign page to learn more about opportunities to join us in these activities.