The Red Dragon was the earliest Cordova mission for Alaska’s Episcopal Church. Built in 1908, the Red Dragon served as the community’s first library and “drop-in” or recreation center for laborers building the 196-mile Copper River & Northwestern Railway to the interior copper mines at Kennecott. The Red Dragon is Cordova’s oldest building, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and continues today to serve the community as a meeting center.
In its first decade, the Red Dragon provided 24-hour a day access to the early railroad workers and Cordovans for reading and writing materials, socializing, an open fireplace, a pool table, piano, and comfortable seating. On Sundays, the space was used by the Episcopal Church for Sunday school and service. The altar was lowered from the rafters using a pulley system.
In 1918, St. George’s Episcopal Church was constructed adjacent to the Red Dragon. Although construction of the church moved the Sunday worship services out of the Red Dragon, the building continued to serve as an important community meeting space. Today, the Red Dragon hosts Girl Scout meetings, honorary events, music classes, etc. for the community of Cordova. It is open to everyone in the community to use.